View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2018, 01:07 (Ref:3816276)   #246
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Add 200 hp to a GT3 car and it becomes an unreliable machine that costs a fortune to operate. You can get 25hp safely but after that, it becomes a point where you are flushing money down the toilet. Thus, GT3 becomes too expensive to run. No need to run it when a 25 year old chassis and an LS motor for $40K will be suffice.

As for TA, who are exactly the people that WANT these high hp cars? It's not the fans (because they don't show up today) it's not the competitors (because they don't show up today) so, is it the hard core ones that want to just watch the races for free on streaming? Trust me, that ain't paying the bills. I don't know who these people are but if you do and know they can pay the bills, then go for it. If not, it's just a dream of the glory days. As we know we can have that with a 60 year old driver ex pro driver driving a 30 year old trans Am car in SVRA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Not as big as you think. TA cars today are running around 750-800 horsepower, GT3 cars are running about 600. And these are highly developed engines that can easily produce well over that - they could handle the boost more reliably than the TA2 engines.

You're still assuming that they can't be balanced, which isn't necessarily true. The complexity of the GT3 cars is an advantage here - they can have their power raised, their weight increased, whatever is needed. Add 200 horsepower and a few hundred pounds, remove driver aids, and they'd performance in very similar ways.

This is, unfortunately, half the reason they're so expensive. The cost difference is what would really be the issue here, and unless GTE/GT3 Convergence comes along sooner rather than later, and does things right, that's an issue that's likely to not change anytime soon.

As I said somewhere in the range of 50 times already, it's because people WANT those insanely high-powered and high-speed cars in Trans Am. It's what the series has been known for since the 80s. By not upgrading the cars to fit the category you're asserting them as you're taking away one of the big appeals of the series. As much as TA2 is liked, fans by and large prefer the high-powered wide-bodied monstrosities of the TA1 class.

And the competitors feel little different - there are lot of teams and drivers in TA2 who are only there instead of TA1 because of the price difference.

TA2 is simply not a headliner class for a series like Trans-Am's.

Let me put it this way... Would you throw out LMP2/DPi and make LMP3 the headline class in IMSA without boosting their speed? That's pretty much what you're proposing with the idea of making unmodified TA2 the headliner for Trans Am without improving them. Sure, people like both LMP3 and TA2, but they don't like them THAT much.
Exactly what jjvincent said, who are these fans? It's not like TransAm had people beating down the doors to attend the races or teams to run TA1. As for the race, great they're wide bat guano crazy cars but there's one car and the rest of the field. Ok, now maybe 2 but Dyson and Francis could have started a lap after and still won at Road Atlanta. They both sound spun at T1 from Francis pushing Dyson wide and yet I believe they were still up a lap on EVERYONE. The TA2 race was actually a race, TA1 was a romp and boring after the noise got to be too much and my ears were bleeding. If they don't find a TA1.5 I don't think TA1 is long for the world.