View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2020, 20:37 (Ref:3959873)   #608
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I for one absolutely hate modern cars.
The last time I bought a new car that was in 2003 (DB7, should have kept that)
I gave it one final shot exchanging the DB7 for a DB9 demonstrator, big mistake, hated that sold it
I ended up picking a 1995 6 litre XJS over the DB9.

At that time i conciously made the decision to never buy a modern car again unless I am forced to by law
Worked out great, I drive classic cars all year, everyday of the week, and enjoy that
Longer trips either in a Porsche 944 S2 or a 1989 R129 SL500 or a 6 litre XJS Coupe
Yes, those youngtimer cars develop electric/electronic issues over time as cable insulations go brittle or electrolytic condensors pack up in a control unit, but I can handle that, intelligent analysis usually works in the end, everything is fixable as long as there is no CAN bus in the car (yes yes, the R129 has an early CAN bus, but that is well documented and not too complicated)

Everytime I pick up a rental car at the airport having to work what strange ritual might possibly start it, I realise why I hate modern cars, how I hate those 8 speed auto boxes that are forever changing gears....

As to, SUVs, dont get me started..
If I were offered a modern day Porsche 911, all 7 feet wide, as a present, for free, id refuse without a second thought.

Motorbikes though, are different
As much as I like classic bikes, modern bikes are simply great, 17 inch wheels, monster brakes ABS, fuel injected engines that pull seamlessly anywhere in the rev range
Love my Triumph Street Triple RS......

The only car that tempts me slightly is the Fiat124 / Mazda MX5 knockoff Spider
Might end up getting one for my son and borrowing it occasionally

What I might do at some stage is to convert a lighter classic such as an MGB to electric drive
Not a rare car that is too precious for a sacrilege like this
My own spec, of course
There is a cottage industry of young wizards growing that can do cool stuff with reclaimed Tesla or GM Volt/Bolt drivetrains, battery packs, controllers for reasonable cost, next they will start on crashed Renault EVs

At the moment though, I will stick, to building or modding motorbike specials, half the fun is in the building, Martin CBX, Spondon XT600 here i come

Rant over..... am getting old

RuE

Last edited by Rudernst; 25 Feb 2020 at 21:01.