View Single Post
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3966287)   #20
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Are you saying using GP2 chassis and then some level of upgrade to boost them above GP2 performance?

I see that only if a number of teams are on the verge of financial collapse and can't maintain their workforce. I think a more likely solution is an extended development freeze and even then that would make large chunks of staff redundant.

F1 can survive, but it might be much smaller from a budget and glamour perspective.

What about large dedicated circuits? Can they financially survive?

Richard
There could be a perfect storm in the collapse of the sponsorship market, or current sponsors unable to fulfil their commitments added to zero prize fund if F1 lost most of the 2020 races. Where for example would Williams find their budget if their main sponsor left and they had no FOM money. Will Haas carry on against a likely fall in demand for machines as manufacturing is cut back? Let alone of Mercedes and Renault did leave as works teams.

I agree running the current cars is an option but they ares till massively expensive to run, whereas you could run GP2+ cars with an aero and power upgrade on a smaller (largely European calendar) for say 5m euro compared to a minimum of 50m euro to build and run an F1 car and team.

Probably none of the above will be required and a realigned F1 will emerge.