View Single Post
Old 24 Oct 2021, 21:34 (Ref:4079822)   #2553
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My engine wouldn't have been what you could call anything near being well engineered. I was lucky that a local engine engineering business worked on the steel crank and camshaft as well as boring the cylinders and shaving the head. They also, at almost cost, supplied all the gaskets and bearings that I needed which was very helpful.

Being as how stressed the engine was, I took the decision to change the head gasket after every race, and completely rebuilt the engine after every other race, so approximately every fortnight and every month during the season of about 8 months. We would dismantle on the Sunday night when we got back, and re-assemble on the Friday night before the race, often all nighters - I would do the build, and my helpers would do the install, leaving the carbs and exhaust for me to do in the morning before we set off to Brands to "run in" the engine.

Luckily, 4 pot Ford pushrod engines are pretty easy to dismantle and put together, but getting the Webers back on could take at least a couple of hours, usually longer than the re-build itself.