View Single Post
Old 10 May 2021, 11:32 (Ref:4050839)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
It's far too V8 centric. (And some of the V8s are not even period-correct, which is absurd.) Some rotaries and turbos would add nicely to the mix as the class starts to overlap with Group C.
I think this dovetails with the arms race, and silly eligibility decisions. That Torana is near as dammit to a Sports Sedan.

The thing is though, there is two ways they can go about it.

1. Abandon period correctness and make them in a way Supercars in old bodies, which is sort of what they have done now. But there are so many body shapes and engine types how can you figure out equalisation. Now they are haves and have nots and someone pulled the rug out from the have nots and now he's gone. You ended up with crazy expensive cars to run at the front and more and more exotic allowances made.

2. Stick with some semblance of period-correctness for engine & driveline and just enable more reliability with brakes, suspension etc. This sounds fine in theory and I know you'd like to watch it, but the reason we really ended up with #1 above is the sheer cost of running some of these old, exotic machines. Keeping them going is very expensive, and compared to #1 they are unreliable.

I guess we'll see what happens, but I don't really like where they are at the moment. It is a little bit of a house of cards. If you change too much, you might lose what the class still has going for it, or splinter the competitors.