View Single Post
Old 8 Jul 2022, 04:29 (Ref:4118619)   #22
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
According to Joe Saward’s blog this week Piastri looks set for either Alpine or McLaren next year.Seidel wants to sign him and has the means to terminate Ricciardo’s drive (performance clause in contract?).Although Alpine can get him a spot at Williams that is not enough to give him reason to void his contract.Alpine are now forced into deciding if the future of the team is with a 21 year old Piastri or a 41 year old Alonso.
To cut loose a driver who has been at Hamilton level in F2 and F3 is a big call.
All will be revealed in the summer break.
According to news.com the love affair btween mclaren and Danny is still raging.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motors...904124b812f721

It also says mclaren CANNOT break contract, but Danny can.

A couple of thoughts,

1 Everytime a senior politician gets sacked all his colleagues and the PM say "he has our full support" right up til the press release

2 He will see out his contract... but as a racer? Coudl he be swapped to 3rd/test driver, or some R&D or training role?

As to Oscar, it is sad that he cant break in, I would love to see him get a chance. He can go to W on loan, and still be part of Alpine and can be recalled at short notice. Williams gets a good driver, he gets to race f1, and as George proved, if you outperform the car at Williams.. it does get you promoted!

He would probably have to cut Alpine ties if he goes to Maccas unless some tricky deal williams borrows danny (Thus stiill under mclaren pay and contract) and he goes to macca.
Given how close Alpine and Maccas are in constructors points, Im not sure either team would like an Alpine employee in the Mclaren Factory - leaks either way. Whereas Willies arent such a threat.