View Single Post
Old 22 Jul 2021, 18:00 (Ref:4062728)   #460
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The problem I see is that it continues to fuel the attitude within the team that their driver(s) can do no wrong, and have a sense of entitlement.
I agree with this. Verstappen came into F1 as a 17-year old - a child, basically. He is still only 23. Such prodigious talent in a very young man needed to be nurtured and protected. I don't think he got that from Red Bull (or his father) because they were terrified of losing their greatest asset. The lack of serious consequences for those outbursts and the apparent lack of even a quiet calming word served Verstappen poorly.

He clearly has matured and as far as I can see from afar conducts himself well. However, he still has a lot to learn. In this case even if he was 100% entitled to the corner and Hamilton 100% wrong, he should still have let Hamilton past. If it was a banzai move then the stewards would deal with it. If not, there would have been plenty of opportunity to regain the lead. And even if that didn't happen, the worst outcome would have been a second place and a small points loss.

You don't need to win every corner of every race to become World Champion. Hamilton knows that, but Verstappen doesn't yet. It would be much more helpful to him to have Horner helping him realise this rather than going to war and adding fuel to a media fire that was going to burn hot enough anyway.

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 22 Jul 2021 at 18:15.