Thread: WEC Race 4 Hours of Shanghai 2019
View Single Post
Old 10 Nov 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3939743)   #47
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopAlong View Post
Is the racing anymore artificial than what we have had since 2006 with the diesels and hybrids? during those years you could have built a car with a better aero, chassis, suspension and the best petrol only engine and still be seconds off the pace of the rules advantaged factory cars.

Mind you this success BoP is a load of crap and I don't understand why they can't just try and balance hybrid and non hybrid properly. Surely if they reduced the ICE power and reduced the hybrid power but allowed for it to be used for the whole straight, surely the cars would make lap time in a very similar way.
I think they've done most of what they can in the beginning which is give Toyota hybrid but take away from the engine and add weight. It started this season at 932kg but now has had reduced engine and hybrid even further. They've lost 4 seconds per lap at Shanghai going from qualifying. I think that's too far. What they should do is limit the mj/lap the hybrid puts out, keep the weight on but allow them their engine power back by relaxing the fuel flow. That way they aren't struggling to pass GTE's even. In the race it wasn't so bad, but that's because they mostly overrode the boost to save it for straights to not get blasted past by other prototypes.