View Single Post
Old 15 Mar 2012, 04:46 (Ref:3041279)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And yet, it seems to happen all the time, and VERY FEW ever appear to get prosecuted for it, or even called out on it.

Actually, I've watched the 2002 Canberra event (qualifying and all three races from beginning to end). There were a number of wild exchanges, with several back-and-forths as the guys trying to pass overcooked it and got re-passed themselves. And it's nice having a track that actually punishes mistakes with meaningful consequences that don't have to be doled out by the Chief Steward.

Maybe it's the camera angles, but Queensland is flat as a pancake, and I'm from the flat part of Kansas, okay. The hills at Winton aren't very visable on TV either. With both Winton and Queensland, there's nothing right up by the track that shows up on camera, so it's hard to get a sense of speed or perspective when watching races at either of those tracks. At Queensland, Turns 1 and 2 just don't look as fast as the telemetry says they are when you're watching, because you don't have objects by the track close enough to provide a good frame of reference. Winton simply has no quick corners really, nor any particularly long straights where these 650hp beasts can properly stretch their legs.

So, yeah, Canberra delivers a greater sense of speed in those sections where the cars really do get going. It delivers a superior atmosphere in some respects by actually having buildings, trees, and grandstands right there next to the track, where you actually see them the whole time on the film footage. And street circuits tend much moreso than permanent road courses to have real curbs, which upset the cars, add to the show, and can precipitate an opportunistic dive for position.

So, no, I wasn't exactly kidding about my comments relating Canberra, Winton, and Queensland.

At least last year Queensland had some nice dips in the pavement which allowed you to see the cars moving around more clearly. However, it won't surprise me if those have been "fixed" for this year.

And no, I don't inherently dislike small/compact tracks. I liked Amaroo Park, and I enjoy Barbagallo. Lime Rock Park, here in the States, is another good one on that smaller scale.

Now, a road course like the hungaroring, with very powerful cars, that can certainly drive me nuts. I don't usually much enjoy the F1 Hungarian GP.