Thread: your history
View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2000, 00:29 (Ref:10383)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In May 1989 I bought a stock standard '72 Valiant Charger and set about converting it into a "Street Sedan" a club level class for racing superceded, near standard produstion saloons. My first race was on 27/8/89, I came last. In Dec '89 I came second in a handicap race, after starting from scratch. In Feb '90 a moron having his first race, lost it front of me and charged straight back onto the track without waiting for the dust or traffic to clear. I had nowhere else to go and t-boned him, writing off the Charger. Six months later, I bought another Charger and set out to do sprints while I slowly built the car up to race. I came second in class at my first sprint event, after which I had no end of mechanical problems with the car and never finished another sprint.
By 1994 I still hadn't finished getting the Charger ready to race and was looking to buy a house, so I sold the Charger and bought a Datsun 1600, I figured a small 4-cylinder car would be much more affordable.
By early 1996 the Datsun still wasn't ready to race and I decided to stop procrastinating and get on with it. I immediately stopped doing sprints and hillclimbs and saved every penny towards getting the car ready to race.
In July 1996 the Datsun made it's racing debut, since then I've done 24 meetings with just 2 mechanical DNFs, one shunt (it was still driveable), No DNQs and no DNS. I've also won the Club Championship and had heaps of fun. This year I'm hoping for more of the same.