View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2629776)   #3
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Memories.... J W was a legend in the AM factory, I was a student apprentice with David Brown Automotive in the 50's and part of the crew that went to Newport Pagnell when the Leeds factory closed in 1957. We had built race engines for Feltham and the interuption in production between autumn 1956 and mid 1957 was covered by building a stock of production chassis and engines but if IIRC, no spare race engines. Wyer and DB came in mid summer to see how we were doing with the new chassis/engine production and I remember all the panic to get the place straight, chassis on trolleys, engines on stands and white lines painted before the inspection!
Relaxed times in many ways, I happened to be crossing the yard as Wyer drove in, open top car with the cricket on the radio, David Brown, later Sir David was in the office and leaned out of the window to ask for the score as Wyer parked his car. I rushed back into the shop to tell everybody he had arrived, a sort of "stand by your beds" moment, we lowly fellows in production did not see people like DB and JW very often
Ahh.....Lost youth!