View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3296275)   #48
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
IndyCar needs to reach as much people as possible. Something, which they don't do at the NBC Sports Network, and barely at ABC. But Pocono scoring a rating over 1.0 should be encouraging for IndyCar. Therefore, the first task should be to reach an average of 1.0 (For all races EXCEPT Indy of course). But I get the feeling that the TV audience doesn't want street courses. They want the big name tracks like Pocono, Road America and so on. IndyCar should work on that front. Yes, it may not make money initially, but you've got to invest something if you want to reach something (Granted, IndyCar hasn't done the right investments since the inception of the Indy Racing League).
IndyCar also needs more names that are recognizable to the casual fan. The solution can only be to bring over as many NASCAR drivers as possible. Guys like A.J. Allmendinger, Kurt Busch or Juan-Pablo Montoya may be available for the next season and all three of them bring some recognizable name value with them. Having more well-known drivers in IndyCar should probably help raising its value to the public.
I'm not sure where they can look to bring in viewers. I mean, there's all sorts of places that they can look at folks they fantasize about becoming viewers, but where can they realistically find them? In general, American race fans are NASCAR fans, and in general NASCAR fans hate open-wheel racing and care little for anything that doesn't resemble NASCAR. IndyCar isn't likely to ever appeal to very many of these. They could try to win over viewers elsewhere in the world, but I'm not sure what they could propose to offer as an alternative to the existing global open-wheel series of F1. "Like F1 but wish it came from America? Then have we got the sport for you!"

"Okay, but people can watch more than one series." Yeah, I know. I watch several. That doesn't necessarily mean most others are happy to start following multiple series. Some may, as some already do, but I reckon most probably won't.