View Single Post
Old 26 Jan 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2619784)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Does anyone has information about the Corolla AE82s of Tony Dolley and Les Liddiard? Both cars seems to have been run by their driver and presumably built for the 1989 season. Although the same model as that of Phil Dowsett, were they in the same spec.?Jesper
The cars were the same model as the Tom's car but were anything but the same spec unfortunately.

The guys I think were ex hotrodders and club racers and didn't run any major sponsorship that I can recall?

Enthusiastic as they were, the best these guys could do was prop up the class entries as they were quite uncompetitive, although I suspect quite useful in helping ensure that the baby class had as many entries as possible as Dowsett was the the 'class of the class' and capable of challenging for the overall championship.

After his BTCC exploits, Dolley later campaigned his car in modprods IIRC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Short news from early 1989 Autosports

GTI Engineering has not taken a decision on weather to contest Group A or Production Saloon in 1989, but it might be with Richard Lloyd himself behind the wheel.

Fina once again to back the Tourist Trophy at Silverstone.

Trident Motor Sport and Tomas Mezera has signed a deal for 1989 running the previous Maserati Biturbo in the colours of Campari, Link-Sedan, Nokia-Mobira and Ideal Homes. Power expected to be 460 bhp for races while qualifying should see 2.2 boost and 500 bhp!

Jesper
Re GTI, I'm guessing they were contemplating entering another Golf GTi 16V in Class C? However there might have been discussion about Audi's or something, can't quite recall?

Re the TT, unfortunately as we all know it was cancelled (or at least not run to Group A regs) as the traditional ETC backbone had gone after the cancellation of that series. Like many i'm sure, I was massively dissappointed by all of this as I was looking forward to Rouse matching upto Eggenberger and hopefully several Australian and German entries!

Re Trident/Mezera: Tomas was a fine driver and it's a shame he didn't get behind the wheel of a Sierra full time after helping Tony Longhurst to his '88 Bathurst win in one) as i'm sure he would've been a major threat to Rouse and Gravett!

Last edited by chunterer; 26 Jan 2010 at 17:14.