Old 22 Jan 2012, 10:58 (Ref:3015242)   #5
T-Man
Rookie

Germany
Germany
T-Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Wow, thanks T Man, interesting reading! I either hadn't realised or had forgotten completely about some of the names that had occasional or one-off outings?

I was kinda hoping you might kick off with the 1983 season, as I think that was the first year for DPM/DTM under Group A (or was it '84 which we know a bit about?) and a year there doesn't seem to be much info about? Perhaps a thread for another day?
First season was in 1984 of which as you say there is quite some information about. I was thinking of going backwards from 1988, as this was the first season, of which we have proper informations about (the first Tourenwagen-Story book, which I don't have and there was a 1988 video review on VHS) All the previous years are a lot more of a mistery to everyone i guess. I could still create a 1984 thread and we can work towards 1988, so it would be in a more chronological order.

I have to say that 1988 probably was the year with the most entrants, with a bunch of events having more than 40 cars entered. It was the year when all 3 major manufacturers started pumping huge amounts of money into the development of the cars. Before it was just a series mostly for privateers. From that season on the DTM started to become the media spectacle that it was during it's glorious days of the 90's.

Now to some more specific 1988 stuff:

I wasn't excactly sure if the DTM had introduced the system of the qualifying race in 1988 already, but the following picture clearly shows a big field of cars together in racing action.
http://www.progcovers.com/motor/mainz90.jpg
This shot is clearly from the 1988 season and taken at the Salzburgring, but the photo features a couple of cars that did not race at that weekend, so this can only be a shot of the qualifying race, most likely during the warmup-lap.

So on this shot we got:
Back of an Alpina M3
Black 190E or Weiss
The white Kadett of Haider
The grey&red Kadett of Peil behind the AMG - DNQ
The yellow M3 of Goeser
The grey 190E is one of the BMK cars, so it should be Wollek
The black/yellow M3 of Ketterer - Thiims old car
The white/orange/yellow M3 is one of the Kamei cars - either Koenig or Dupre
behind the Ketterer M3 is a blue 190E which is one of the Marko cars, i guess it's Klammer as van Ommen would be in single qualifying.
Then theres the red/white 190E of Gallina.
A Linder works M3 most likely Stermitz
the green/white M3 of Mertes
a white M3 i am not too sure about, could be Becker or more likely Herbert Lingmann (DNQ)
the white Sierra of Drexler
the black M3 of Mattschull - DNQ
the white/blue M3 of Schmitt - DNQ
the red M3 of Müller - DNQ
and the yellow XR4Ti of Nodes - DNQ

there is one more car in the background, but it is impossisble to name that one.