Thread: WEC Race 4 Hours of Shanghai 2019
View Single Post
Old 8 Nov 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3939272)   #14
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

This is one of the things I don't get about the success handicap formula. Why do non-winning cars get penalized?

Granted, Shanghai is unique even for a F1 Tilkedrome in that it's got a ton of start and stop and several very long straights. LMP2s speeds is governed by an air restrictor, just like the GTE cars. So they don't need to lift and coast like even the "unrestricted" LMP1s still probably have to to some extent.

But even allowing for that, you know that things are kinda screwed up when even the LMP1s that are known for top speed/straightline pace are having issues passing LMP2 and GTE cars.

Not to hijack this thread and run it into the ground, but that's the one thing I don't really like or get about LMP1 Hypercar. The ACO put in a lot of effort the past few years speeding up the GTE/GTLM cars, then the LMP2 cars, just to have to undo a lot of that because of the LMP1s getting hammered in terms of potential max laptimes around LM and elsewhere. I mean 3:30 around LM? I doubt that the LMP1 Hypercars will be that slow, but c'mon! Audi R10s were doing that in 2006 around a slower version of the current LM circuit. Audi R8s were doing that in 2002. Toyota GT-Ones were doing that in '99!

Either with this LMP1 rewards/success BOP and LMP1 Hypercar reduction of laptimes is progress on the part of the ACO, well, I have a bridge to sell you and I'm engaged to Victoria Justice.

Last edited by chernaudi; 8 Nov 2019 at 17:41.