View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2006, 02:13 (Ref:1794236)   #2
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb
I am under the impression that the farther the roll centers are from the centers of gravity - in a dynamic condition...real world - the more forcefull the roll. On the other hand, if the distance between RC and the CofG is reduced, so is the force. But, is the rate of roll faster with a shorter lever arm and slower with a longer lever arm? There must exist a sweet spot within every vehicle where the force and rate of weight transfer is ideally suited to very fast driving.
the further apart the roll centre is from the CG (when facing the front of the vehicle) the greater the rolling moment is.
I think you got confused and using the term force when its a torque.

The rate of roll is dependent largely upon the damper settings and is not really looked upon being dependent upon the distance between CG and RC. the distance largely influences the roll angle taken up for a given lateral g.

[quote]There must exist a sweet spot within every vehicle where the force and rate of weight transfer is ideally suited to very fast driving [quote]
This doesnt make sense to me unless im misreading it,the sweet spot is dependent upon a huge number of parameters and not just weight transfer.
I reconmend you to work from the tyre back into the chassis, learn tyre load sensitivity. work on each senario such as steady state cornering, the transients and linear acceleration and braking. how each parameter affacts the vehicle for each senario. e.g the dampers are very much influencial during the transiants but not at steady state senarios, this of course ignoring surface variations.
Its a massive subject which few people fully grasp and I certainly dont know near enough, so best take one step at a time, weight transfer is a good place to start though along with undertanding the basic functions of the tyre.
p.s: Merry Christmas everyone