Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 15 May 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3903969)   #3535
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, not really for me; they don't dance like they did at one time
Do you mean in the 1990's and early 2000's?

E.g., Frentzen, Jordan-Mugen, onboard at Spa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpAVOiT2evo

That was just because the cars had poorly sorted handling at that time, compared to the modern day where the non-active-suspensions are far better sorted with various hydraulic widgets and heave springs and various fanciness to optimise the handling.

If it was up to me, I would rather allow ONE conventional coil spring and shock absorber on each corner, ONE conventional anti-roll-bar per axle and then ban any other heave springs, additional shock absorbers or hydraulic suspension devices.

-----

While back in the 1970's they drifted around the turns because, of course, the crossply tyres used at that time worked best at large slip!

[It must be said those 1970's F1s are particularly enjoyable to drive in computer racing games, because of the smooth, predictable, gradual characteristics of those crossply tyres drifting very controllably around bends, unlike the snappy characteristics of later radial tyres.]

-----

-- Obviously the narrow track and, in particular, grooved tyres were mistakes too. If I was up to me, I would restore the car width to the pre-93 width of 2.15m (up from current 2m) and restore the smaller front tyre size as used up to 2016. Between the wide rears (which are already about the same size as '92) and narrow fronts (the legacy size which was carried through from the late 80's up until when the fronts and rears were scaled equally in 2017, despite *only* the rears being scaled down in 93), that would give the tyre proportions as on those iconic 1990-1992 grand prix cars.

Narrower fronts would by necessity mean a more rearward weight bias, and remove the incentive to make extremely long wheelbase cars (as are current being raced) --- of course you could just make a maximum wheelbase rule as proposed for 2021. [The front tyre width will also go down from 305mm to 270mm in the 2021 rule package, which is a great step!]

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 15 May 2019 at 16:10.