View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1634407)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
I'm a little confused about the reasoning...to improve reliability? Wasn't aware there was a reliability issue with LMP2 engines. Now I know there is an issue with the power-to-weight ratio LMP1 vs. LMP2....

775kgs @ 550 hp = 1.409 kgs/hp

vs.

925 kgs @ 650 hp = 1.42 kgs/hp

Is that the ACO's way of describing the above? LMP2s need more reliability?

He distinctly said the chassis are fine, reliability wise, the problems are with the engines (maybe he meant the whole engine/gearbox package and the stresses being put on them?).

He went onto talk about the 'series line' engines being introduced.

I'm guessing they'll increase weight to 800kg, reduce power to 500bhp (current Judds, AER etc.) and encourage off the shelf production based engines from GT2.

Who knows, they may even follow Grand Am and homologate individual engines so the likes of the Panoz V8 could be used, bypassing the current 4l limit for GT2 engines.

I cannot emphasise enough how he insisted LMP2 was for privateers, leaving the big boys to LMP1. When asked about the Penske RS Spyder, he replied it would be better to see privateer versions at Le Mans.

Last edited by JAG; 14 Jun 2006 at 16:05.