View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3816671)   #142
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I think "big money" is the answer.
I saw a documentary once on Eddie Irvine..he admitted to being No2..and then said..
"So would you if you saw what I was being paid to do it".
I would agree, the sums of money involved could be very persuasive. But these guys are very ego-driven and it seems a bit feeble to battle all the way to F1 and then say "I'll just sit back now and take the money."

Massa got his day in the sun after several years of brown-nosing Schumacher. Irvine and Barrichello never did get a proper shot at being a No 1 in a competitive team (ignoring the time when Schumacher broke his leg). Kimi has been right to the top of the tree, he's still got the speed yet he finds himself in a role where he just has to ensure Vettel gets as many points as possible and Hamilton as few as possible. I find it hard to believe he's doing it for the money as he walked away from a F1 salary once before when he fancied rallying instead, though I'll admit I can't think of another plausible explanation.