View Single Post
Old 1 Apr 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2430925)   #319
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I fully agree that its confusing. If you are reffering to the car I had advertised,the reasoning behind that is that its history IS fully documented by TVR themselves,it hasn't been dragged out of a scrapyard and been rebuilt as a replica,not like many LCs "works" Bs and Healeys etc.
Ah. the old continous history debate

Thats the farce surely! How is a car built in 67 from a new body and chassis on an old identity any different to a 68 car which retains the body and chassis? re-built is re-built. simple as that.

Documented history is one thing but in terms of rules surely the date by which something was built or indeed re-built is what the rule of law regards to the Fia is?

On one hand you picked me up in an earlier post by saying my car was a tad too young and the rules are clear.

On the other hand you would like to think that a 1967 car is really a 1965 car? in terms of originality the 65 car ceased to exist in 66 / 67 when it was comprehensively destroyed. The car was not re-built. it was comprehensively replaced with 2 fundamentally big bits making up a new car which was so new it was given a 67 number.

Applying the Fia rule of law, then that car is no more eligible than mine to be a pre-65 car in Fia racing.

Everything has continuous history / having the correct continous history is another thing altogether.

The reality is that the car you have / had for sale is more of a replica than mine? by twist of fate it has a chassis number that allows the car to be accepted. It doesn't have the original body or Chassis

Wouldn't life be much easier if the fia just allowed old cars to be accepted for what they are!

My 68 car is a Griffith created using all correct parts. still has correct quills, uprights body and chassis and is probably very legal to Fia spec whilst keeping an eye on safety critical items. Again it isn't a big issue to me because I largely built it for me over 4 years. What is a shame though is that I won't be allowed to race it in Fia events because some other people have a perverse view of originality.

Now rightly or wrongly I always thought that the purpose of HTP was to give cars like mine a fair shout to be accepted for what they are instead of all the cloak and dagger that does go on?

The sad thing is the over inflated values that having a pre 65 racing car generates today which in my view is starting to actually spoil club racing. it is this money which is creating the problem where chequebooks make speed rather than driver talent. silly regs simply make it more expensive to be devious about going faster.

I dare say that we could chew the fat over this favourite topic of mine all day. The best thing we can do is continue it over a few beers at Snet. I assume you will be in the same class as my old mate Geoff who I am spannering for this weekend

As an aside. I know well the bloke who rebuilt said car in 67.
N.