View Single Post
Old 17 Nov 2008, 07:28 (Ref:2336202)   #33
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
My biggest disappointment is the fact that the IRL brought a field of thoroughly professional teams with at least half the field being truly professional drivers. Dixon, Franchitti, Castroneves, Kanaan, Briscoe, Wheldon, Junqueira, Servia, Wilson, Power, Hunter-Reay, Meira and Tagliani are all pretty close to the finished product as far as drivers are concerned - you're always pretty convinced a group like that can put on a good show.

The A1GP guys are all largely up-and-comers and some of them are frankly verging on embarassing at times - I don't think it will be anywhere near as professional or interesting as the IndyCars.
First to admit I am biased in this case, but gee I find your comments harsh...

Junqueira and Hunter-Reay were nowhere in A1GP. Briscoe was top six but didn't win. Marco Andretti was midfield last weekend and don't even get me started on Indy 500 winner Buddy Rice...

Of the only current field only Hwang from South Korea would be completely out of his depth (as he is in A1GP), Khan and Hermanto would be at the back but would not disgrace themselves. Morad was pretty decent in Atlantics I am told but is near the back in A1GP (going by last weekend).

Neel Jani and Adam Carroll would be looking to win in the IRL first time out, Doornbos was Champcar rookie of the year, Bamber was a close second on his GP2 debut...others on here can no doubt add further examples.

...and by the way am expecting Danica Patrick to be well and truely found out when she tries A1GP.