View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1112614)   #30
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Firstly, Falcemob.... off unless you have something to contribute

Next, HiRich And Dennis... I hear ya.. just don't agree. But here's one or two points to think about :

HiRichc says : "So you hit this 1" bump. The input to your suspension is a 1" displacement (the bump isn't going anywhere). Let's assume you have a solid tyre for now. So your hub moves up 1". With your 900lb/inch springs, that wheel instantaneously carries an extra 900lb. Firstly, that's 900lb off the other three, particularly the opposing diagonal. So instantaneously, the load and grip on the other three tyres has altered suddenly. "

Not true I'm afraid, The 1" displacement to one front does indeed add 900lb to that wheel, but that has very little insantaneous effect on the other wheels. If you take into account the mass and inertia of the car, that corner actually gets instantaneously heavier by 900lb!! (well almost). That's because making the road come up and inch is virtually exactly the same effect as dropping the car on just that corner. It instantaneously sees a higher local G force and gets effectively heavier in reaction. OK.. needs bit of mulling over because we can't both be right.

Denis says : "Given that most kerbs would be on the lightly loaded inside, just how important is this to the typical club driver?"

Well I just raced on the Brands Indy and that kerb on the outside of the exit of Graham Hill is a prime example of being able to open out a corner a bit more if you can ride kerbs without loosing grip. The exit of the Donnington National chicane.. and come to think of it, Redgate and Old Hairpin, both reward a bit of kerb use in the momentum stakes, oh and that outside kerb on the exit of Honda at Pembry is a bit of a tyre chewer. Ok, ok, so I shouldn't be using kerbs as a legitimate part of the track.... but tell me you don't and I'll feel suitably chastised!

Incidentally, since I've stiffened my springs and softened my dampers, running saw tooth kerbs doesn't rattle my teeth any more But more seriously, I think of bumps in the track as being the seams and changes of layer in the tarmac.... not whole corners like the Bombhole at Snet..... now that drain cover that I use as the apex, I like to try and get some grip as I rumble over cast iron