View Single Post
Old 30 Jan 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3796888)   #24
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FĂ©lix View Post
If you were Andy Palmer, you'd know about their previous modern turbo project because you'd have commissioned it around 2013. Cosworth NV.

Also, their 1.6 F1 straight-four, HK, got into a road car that almost made it to production.

---

To me, Cosworth are not that bad; better recent track record than AER or Judd, behind TEOS-Mecachrome (they engineered the P.U.R.E project) or the design talent at VAG or BMW; but outside of hiring a genial free agent like Mario Illien, I can't think of better solutions.
The problem with AM's last LMP1 engine and chassis was they tried to do it all on the cheap, in-house, and far too quickly......and the whole program was subsequently a crock of.

Prodrive had inexperienced people designing the engine and chassis aero, didnt plan properly and paid the price by publicly humiliating both Prodrive and AM together at once.......the lesson learned, plan properly and get good external contractors to do the job properly, then AM could market it like they do so well on all products.

but you need to carefully select the correct external contractors, I certainly agree Cosworth would do a better job than Prodrive, but if it were me I'd go straight over to Ilmor for an F1 engine project.......it was Newey that pushed Renault to go see his old mate Mario Illien is how Ilmor got involved with Renault, but then Renault gave Ilmor the cold shoulder treatment.