View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3197547)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Cozier View Post
Mike, what cat 1 rally cars would you worry about being 'merged up' to compete against on tarmac? The only one I could think of is a 2ltr 911 or maybe a Sunbeam Tiger but with the entire field on 6" wheels I would've thought the Elan weight advantage would be significant.
On tarmac Élan has to be the one to go for, IMHO. Depends who is driving the Tiger, some are capable of driving them very well. In racing the pre 66 911s can be very quick and of course they make excellent gravel cars. The last event I did close to being a rally was Tour Britannia in 2010. From memory there were 3 x 26R spec Elans entered in my class, along with several 2 litre 911s. I was in my MGB powered Gilbern GT, and for some reason had the legs of the 911s but definitely not the Elans! As it happened one had a mechanical failure and another went off so I got 2nd in class by default.