View Single Post
Old 31 Jan 2002, 05:58 (Ref:207154)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shell Helix Team Expands to 3 cars but won't need to pre qualify

Shell Helix Racing has announced that Greg Ritter will drive a third Ford Falcon XR8 in selected rounds of this year's V8 Supercar Series and once again be part of the driving squad at the Queensland 500 and Bathurst 1000 endurance events.

The 28-year-old drove for the Queensland-based team in last year's long distance races earning high praise for his efforts in qualifying and the races themselves. The highlight of his campaign was a fourth place finish at Bathurst.

Ritter will join SHR full time, sharing test driver duties, race driving, and other responsibilities at DJR's Queensland complex.

"Greg did an outstanding job for us last season and together with the competitiveness of the V8 Supercar field, convinced us of the need to work towards full time V8 drivers in every event," said team owner Dick Johnson.

"Our aim is to build strongly for the future. We see Greg as part of that plan and we are delighted that he will be with us in 2002 and beyond."

For Ritter the opportunity to race and become closer involved with one of Australia's premier motor sports teams is an opportunity he's prepared to make the most of.

"I will be moving from Melbourne to South East Queensland immediately," said Ritter.

"I do have a great relationship with Dick and the entire team already, but working and being part of the team environment full time will make the situation a whole lot stronger.

"I could have gone for a smaller team and driven in more races, but that would have put me at a major disadvantage at the big races.

"I've guaranteed the Shell Helix Racing team that I won't sit back and wait for things to happen.

"I'm setting my sights on proving my worth to the team and achieving my ambition of winning Bathurst".

It's yet to be announced which extra races Ritter will compete in, however it has been confirmed that his Falcon will carry the number #71.

The Shell Helix Racing team will stick with two cars for the endurance events, the driver pairings and the announcement of the team's final driver will be made in the coming months.