View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2013, 04:02 (Ref:3226261)   #124
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi View Post
I really don't see this making any sense at all, and can't understand the logic of Grand-Am on this (unless they aren't having to put up any of the money).

DTM is not cheap, nor is SuperGT. As it stands, no one from SuperGT has committed to anything, only the DTM guys. I cannot see how a series with no previous North American history, requiring GT/Prototype/Indycar/Nationwide level budgets is going to succeed unless BMW, Audi and Mercedes plan on paying for the cars, operating budgets, TV time and other fees. There are plenty of other struggling road racing series in North America with no traction with the public. I don't see one more making a difference.

Not to mention, DTM fundamentally lacks the key component of successful touring car racing: on-track action. The technical rules are so woefully incompetent that they are introducing DRS to create some passing. How will a North American audience with more entertaing choices find the time to watch this series? It makes no sense. Grand-Am/NASCAR would be better off either running a sprint series with GT cars, or a road racing series using Sprint Cup cars. Both would have a much higher chance of being successful.
DTM racing sucks because they're penalized for every little thing they do.

Give them freedom to actually race without as much ridiculous penalties and you'll see a much better race.