View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2020, 10:23 (Ref:3991603)   #56
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Probably because there is no other reason to suspend spectator attendance.
Think about it, you have an event that attracts approximately 30k spectators to each meeting, spectators travelling from all over the country. The tv coverage and attendance numbers, make it a high profile event. Being included as an Elite sport, is just a box to put it in to ban spectator attendance.
If that was the case - why is Horse Racing subject to the same restrictions?
The average attendance at RaceCourses in Q4 2019 was 2,474 per event.

Professional Golf in the UK, another sport that could argue the spectators can be spread out, is also subject to the same restrictions.

Again - the number of spectators has nothing to do with the classification of a sport as being 'elite'. You are just making assumptions formed from incorrect startling points and reaching the wrong conclusions.

The Govt have previously clarified what they deem to be an elite sport. In simple terms, it is one where the competitors make a living from participating, or they are on a pathway to Olympic/Paralympic/Commonwealth Games participation.

Obviously there will be examples that can be put forward that seem to contradict this definition - but most sports have accepted the position and got on with organising events within the guidelines.