View Single Post
Old 24 Oct 2023, 15:53 (Ref:4182810)   #240
Peter J Horsman
Rookie

Peter J Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The CSCC guy did not need a permit. The rules for Temporary Importation Procedures have not altered. I cannot access the CSCC facebook site and so am unable to comment on the specific, but I would ask, did the importer explain to the EU Customs guy (nicely!) what he was doing and his regulatory authority for doing so, as clearly set out in my advice notes. I would guess not and so this once again confirms my advice that people should read and understand the broad thrust of the Rules as set out in my notes and have them available if challenged by officials.

A breaking piece of good news: HMRC International Trade group advised me in writing that there was a need for a completed C&E1246 form to pass to the C&E on the return trip. I took this point to high-up HMRC Policy division guys who have recently advised me that this form/procedure is neither necessary nor designed for returning UK competition cars (and for what it's worth, I agree with them) and, in fact, no form is required at all to claim 're-importation relief'. You just return to the UK and drive straight through the UK customs point effectively claiming the relief on a 'by conduct declaration' basis. I am trying to get written confirmation of this before spreading the news 'far and wide'. If challenged, you simply have to explain to them that the car was in the UK and was temporarily exported to the EU for sporting purposes.

In concluding, UK HGPCA members exporting their own cars to the EU without Carnets have had no problems at all and are presently in Spain/Portugal!

Happy racing!