View Single Post
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:00 (Ref:2009596)   #166
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbg63
She said there should be a clear identifying mark for trainees to wear to enable drivers etc to recognise that she hasn't got the experience that others may have. This would make it clearly known that she may not be able to respond in the timescale that is desired by the person making the query. She suggested that a badge be developed which is clearly identifiable (maybe the Yellow box with a black cross in it).
Until recently trainees were issued (I know that's a generalisation & there will many be exceptions) with white plastic badges similar in size to the metal grading badges worn by more experienced marshals. I know several people who stopped wearing them as they felt, wrongly, that there was some sort of stigma attached to trainee status.

Personally, I always felt that the trainee badge was a protection against my being asked to do something beyond my experience - an indication of my lack of experience, not any lack of ability. While there are many people who would be happy to wear such a badge, there are many who would not.

Just remember: none of us knows everything about marshalling - we're all (I hope) still learning.