View Single Post
Old 24 Jul 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2731719)   #9
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
There's an obvious solution to suit all parties.

You run the course of the ALMS season for GTE, GT3 and Cup cars and bookmark it with the Sebring and PLM ILMC counting rounds where the season regulars slot into the normal class structure as they do at Le Mans.

As for the P1/P2 teams Highcroft have ambitions to win Le Mans so appear destined for the ILMC while all but Dyson could slot into a GT structure with ease.

I say that as Dyson seem insistent on running prototypes but don't appear to have the finances or desire to run in the ILMC.

Perhaps they'd go to Grand Am.

IMO what cannot continue much longer is the P1/P2 field running to non ACO regs. Not only does it put Highcroft and Dyson at a disadvantage as they need to switch car spec when running at Le Mans, Sebring and PLM, the likes of Autocon are nowhere to be seen once their performance breaks are removed.
I agree, Autocon doesn't even come East anymore. Intersport and Dyson has a decision to make if not now, next year or in 2012. The cost of racing P1 is going to go up and the management can only hold back the flood so long.

You're right, you can't ask those with more money/sponsorship (Drayson, Highcroft) to keep switching configuration to keep their cars ACO legal, nor can you have a weaken Championship with only 3-4 cars. If their recent performance is any indicator they would have been beaten by LMPC car at Laguna Seca and Utah.

You can't build it around LMPC cars, even if you allowed them to upgrade to LMP2 spec because it would be too much like Grand Am.

I think some would grudgingly accept an all GT field before morphing into its direct competitor.

Anybody unhappy with it can do ILC or Grand Am, you have choices.