View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2023, 09:59 (Ref:4159465)   #589
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
'Ready to stop' has long been an abused term by drivers under yellow flags, often interpreting it as something like 'having a foot a few inches from a brake pedal'. Terrible driving by Martin's and I agree that a much harsher penalty is in order.
As well as being abused, "ready to stop" is too vague. F1 cars already have a pitlane speed limiter which could be easily used for controlling speed under yellows and under the VSC. In the case of yellows I would suggest that drivers should be below the pitman speed limit from the point when they pass waved yellows. An alternative signal (I don't think stationary yellow would work) should be displayed at the preceding marshal post giving the drivers bit or warning and distance to reduce their speed (banging on the brakes in an unexpected place would just be introducing a new hazard).

No doubt people will protest that a VSC in particular at pitlane speed would cause the tyres to lose temperature. Well, tough! Drive accordingly and engineer the cars and tyres accordingly. Tyre blankets are being phased out anyway.