View Single Post
Old 9 Jul 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3835680)   #13
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
What we have now is 70% a design team competition; 20% a strategy competition and 5% a driver competition - adjust the %ages as you please and, yes, I know it doesn't add up!

The emphasis needs to shift back to the driver. How it's done, I'm not too bothered about but it needs doing quickly.
I would say that something like aircraft and racing car design have progressed in a similar way. Early on... the designers didn't know what in the hell they were doing. So extraordinary talent in drivers/pilots were able to extract the absolute performance. Some could make it work, others couldn't.

Today, the engineers generally know what they are doing. It is much less an "art", but rather a "science". Best bet is to let pre-school children and drug addicts who are stoned out of their minds design the cars so that they are appropriately "screwed up", difficult to drive and with poor reliability. That will sort out the boys from the men when it comes to who can manage to get them over the finish line first.

Richard

PS: I am not advocating for pre-school children who ARE drug addicts. It is one or the other but not both!