View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3773746)   #19
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
given Steve Bratches' long time tenure and relationship (one of the architects of building a pay TV sports model) with ESPN i cant say this isnt surprising plus i would think there has to much more to this deal then what has so far been reported.

the no money thing is certainly unusual and i wonder what the quid pro quo will be...just speculating but i could see ESPN offering FOM a pay wall online streaming platform with a global reach and/or a production department to help monetize the F1 archive of historical footage (more documentaries, features, and movies etc).

for sure, at some point there will be an additional cost to the fans but if the quality of content is there then i think it could be a good thing.

commentary crew aside (will wait to see who they get), i also do like the idea of a few races being on ABC's Wide World of Sports...i think Al Michaels used to do some of the commentary.

one of the first F1 races i ever saw was a mid 80's Monaco GP on the Wide World of Sports program so some nostalgia for me there.
The big selling point if Liberty really wants to move to or push a streaming platform is the success and variety ESPN has been able to offer on ESPN3, the streaming platform not the occasional channel name. The big problem currently with that is ESPN is facing a few FCC and class action cases regarding the net neutrality violation of forcing all who pay for internet access affiliated with ESPN3 to pay for it. It is not a line item on your ISP bill and I believe AT&T fiber, and a few other services that require an internet and tv combo offering have an ESPN access path. But you can also get ESPN3 at many US colleges and universities by accessing through your school email account. It is also on XBox Live with Gold now and I believe Dish has made it available as a solo purchase add-on with SlingTV. But many of the offerings have been of the secondary college sports, Canadian football and obscure events. Believe they had signed WC qualifiers in the past and other events. But it is a large multi-channel platform that NSCSN just seemingly couldn't offer. Their app is TERRIBLE and they've spent a LOT of their money pushing a second channel of purely Olympic coverage, 24/7, 365. Nothing like watching previous Olympic events cause everyone loves tape delayed events we only care about every 4 years.

Sadly ABC's wide world of sports declined after Keith Jackson stopped and went out to pasture after Al Michaels stopped caring. That old theme music and Keith's intro still can bring chills and used to be the only way to see LM24 highlights and a few GPs. ABC still uses the tagline and basic idea, but it's not even close to the same thing anymore.