View Single Post
Old 21 Feb 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2401406)   #38
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru
I decided for the older 4870, as according to tests in mags over here the 4990 is a bit better for colour, but the 4870 beats the 4990 with its black and white results. And my archive is full of b/w negs and prints from the late 1970s and the early 1980s, coz of the pics needed for my RX yearbooks. From the mid 1980s on I did much more colour slides.
Sorry to go off thread - but your yearbooks were one of the reasons I got hooked on rallycross. I brought one on my first ever visit to a rallycross. Think it was the 1979 edition, that I got in 1980.

I`ve spent alot of time watching different motorsports, but the ERC is the only championship, I ever wanted to try to follow around the different circuits of Europe, because of your yearbooks.

I remember trying to imagine what the circuit would look like in real life, from your circuit drawings.

Without the internet, it was the only way to try to find out what was going on in Europe. So any erc or gp, it was look out for a foreign car in the paddock, to see if there was a new yearbook or calender being advertised for sale behind the windscreen.

When did the yearbooks start, and when did they finish? And are there any of the old editions still available?

Back to scanners, I got so fed up with the minolta forever crashing half way through a scan, the nikons were just too expensive, and flatbeds were just starting to get good reviews. I compared the canon against the epson, but never compared the varies epson models. I only ever shot one film of black and white, I never got into home developing, and none of the shops in my area would develop black and white.

You must have an amazing archive of notes and rallycross photos. How did you first get into the sport?