View Single Post
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3844163)   #55
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the info I wanted - Sears race.

Travelling from NZ and returning with 1,000's of photographs, action and static, track and car park, then who is behind the wheel is totally irrelevant, so whether there are a host of pro or semi pro drivers, does not make a better photograph.

I 'm a car enthusiast first and foremost, and living out here in NZ, there are plenty of great cars and good drivers, but as The SpeCTator knows all too well, even with a meeting of 250+ cars, we'll never see the sort of machinery that appears at Goodwood, certainly not in any great numbers - and particularly since Hampton Downs was sold to someone who is not a Classic/Historic enthusiast.

A trip to Goodwood is an opportunity to see and photograph iconic (and some less than iconic) cars, that we would otherwise never see in action. whether a car is being driven by a maestro at ten tenths or a competent amateur at 8 tenths is neither here nor there, but Austin J40 pedal cars do not need a race circuit and the comment above that it is catering for Hooray Henry's is probably closer to the truth than many realise.

We pay big money to see cars out on track and the fact that tickets for the weekend are sold out months in advance, I'm convinced has nothing whatever to do with BTCC drivers or even Jensen Button.

This is/was a meeting that appeals mainly to those of us who probably never managed to travel to Goodwood and see ERA's, Lister Jaguars, or even 1958 saloons in action at the time, but read about them avidly.

To hear a V16 BRM running, even if at a modest pace, was almost worth an earlier visit alone, but pedal cars? Come on.

This may be my last opportunity for a Revival meeting and yes, I will enjoy it, but when regulars say it is no longer worth it, that saddens me.