View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2019, 08:31 (Ref:3873750)   #87
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Andy, do you know if the Foundation compares life spans between the always wild animals and the freed-from-zoos arrivals?

I read that the typical life of a wild male lion is about 13yrs.

The allegedly timid one recently shot dead at the wildlife centre in the USA was, reportedly, 14 years old. A comparable period of life.

If the animals in a protected environment generally live longer (and presumably healthier) lives it presents some sort of moral dilemma about whether they should be cared for or should be left to fight things out with their peers and other animals in a wild environment.

Obviously it is just a human dilemma since the other animals are unlikely to care much one way or the other - except for competitive males of the same species who no doubt care greatly about the presence of a potentially competing male.
I dont know the answer about the difference in life span i am afraid, Grant. And the issue of health is a moot point - Zoo kept animals are known to exhibit signs of poor mental health, presumably due to being kept in a space about 1% or less of the space they are used to roaming in.

ETA - a lion pride typically roams in an area of approx 100 mikes square. Not surprising they get stressed about being cooped up in a small enclosure.

Last edited by andy97; 3 Jan 2019 at 08:39.