View Single Post
Old 16 Jun 2017, 22:40 (Ref:3742360)   #18
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Australian car builders are welcome to develop GT3 cars so WHERE ARE THEY?

I think it's a real pity. There is no Jaguar for example, so that is a perfect opportunity for a Tickford or Supashock or Harrop to develop a F-Type GT3 then construct 20-30 examples per annum and flog them off around the world.

Likewise it would be great to see Australian companies producing cars on a large scale for TCR or Formula 4. Huge missed opportunity to not use an Australian made F4 chassis.
Firstly you must have permission from the manufacturer to do such a thing and not only that take time and money you also need to have somewhat of a good relationship with the manufacturer. Maybe the manufacturer is sitting on the fence in regards to building such a car themselves and if that's the case then nothings happening in the foreseeable future e.g Emil Frey and Jaguar regarding the F Type GT3. They really need to pull their finger out as the car would look good and sound good and would be better publicity then Formula E.

Then we have the cost of developing such a car and if you want to sell 20-30 per annum then you must have customer support like the three big Germans have now because you might have a good car but if you don't have the after sales support then you wont sell the car in great numbers. Have a look at the Callaway Corvette. Great car, it wins in GT Masters which is one of the most heavily contested national GT series in the world and yet there no cars elsewhere. Some of that is down to the production capacity of the team which is quite small but they don't have the resources to support teams all over the world. And thus people buy a Merc or an Audi instead. Which is a crying shame as the Corvettes a good car.

Those Aussie companies you mention don't have the resources or capacity to do that. And basing one's self in Australia is not helpful when the majority of your market is in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
If Supercars switches to GT3 probably - except for Bathurst - I will lose interest.
It becomes just a GT series like there are many.
I get that. Part of the draw of Supercars for me is those cars are unique, they're big and loud but that appeal is waning with the direction the category is taking. The Mustang ticks all those boxes and if it doesn't appear then its a missed opportunity for the category, it really is.