Old 20 May 2003, 06:40 (Ref:604273)   #17
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
That article doesn't show me what happened in the wreck, Tim.

And that's not what I was saying at all. Wrecking a guy is _never_ an acceptable way to make a pass. But if you go for the pass and he won't let you by, sometimes you have to beat on him. Likewise if some guy's trying to pass you, you might have to beat on him. That's just racing, and that's the kind of thing Stewart does and Dale did, without apology, that I respect.

Gordon spun out two cars Saturday night _just_ to get past, with cheap taps from behind. That's not racing, that's being cheap and lazy in your overtaking.

And yeah, the guy's got boatloads of talent, I'm still ****ed no CART team ever picked him up. But talent doesn't excuse cheap moves on the track.
If wrecking someone is never acceptable way to make a pass, then somebody should tell that to about 60% of NASCAR drivers... But most drivers, including Gordon, will tell you what you just said. Sometimes you gotta get tough. I see nothing cheap about it, specially when you're running for a million bucks. For that kind of scratch, I'd spin my own Mother out.

But as usual, I still say I see nothing wrong with ol' Jeffy being as aggressive as anyone else. I'm a firm believer in the "Rubbin' is Racin'" philosophy. But I believe it should apply equally across the board to everyone. If it's fine for one driver, it should be fine for everyone on the track. And in my opinion, it is.

The point I've been trying to make is simply this... It's always cheered when someone else does it and sneered when Gordon does it, and as far as I'm concerned, that's whining. And very amusing to watch too.