View Single Post
Old 29 Sep 2012, 04:22 (Ref:3143531)   #6
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Hi there SpikerJack( you must be dutch), welcome to the worlds best Sportscar forum.

I personally haven't put any time in finding out the current going salaries for sportscar drivers, but I do know that, during his best years at Jaguar, Jan Lammers earned in the region of $250,000 a month ! That's the late eighties not forgetting...
Thats a lot more then I thought he was earning but then again it was the late eighties

In LMP1 you mostly have professional drivers who with the exception of Primat and Kartikayan probably dont bring sponsorship to the drive. The factory drivers of Audi and Toyota would be on some good salaries-mid six figures maybe? Especially for guys like McNish and Kristensen.

LMP2 would have a mixture of pro drivers and gentlemen drivers-the latter bring money to the team for the car to race and also to pay the pro driver.

GT is much the same. You have a number of factory drivers from Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, BMW and Aston who are paid pro drivers who might bring some small sponsorship to the team but its not contingent on them getting a seat. These factory drivers would be on contracts based on time such as one year or two not a race by race contract. For example Gimmi Bruni is a Ferrari factory driver who races where the factory sends him, mostly with AF Corse in a variety of championships. Im sure AF Corse dont pay for him as the factory does as there contribution to the team as its pretty much the Ferrari works team. Same goes for Lieb and Lietz at Felbermayer, Long and Bergmeister at Lizards etc. And then you have the gentlemen drivers who do pretty much same as in LMP2.

No idea on figures, that stuff isnt public knowledge AFAIK. And the way the world economy is at the moment a lot of good drivers are sitting around without a drive as they either cant find a paying ride or dont have the sponsors to bring to the party to secure a ride.

BTW welcome to ten tenths SpikerJack, enjoy your stay

Last edited by rich07; 29 Sep 2012 at 04:33.