Old 29 Dec 2019, 18:51 (Ref:3948959)   #23
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggo View Post
Why?
1. Hybrid increases costs and makes motorsport complicated
2. V8 is what we love on the supercars. I would not change that. Supercars will be dead within 2 years if the V8 leaves (like the Commodore)

If Gen3 is so cheap that we dont need manufacturers then Supercars has a future. We see now that car manufacturers change their minds within weeks so I would try to make Supercars independent from manufacturers and use cheap technology but make it fascinating for viewers and fans.
Hi Maggo,

I don't like the word cheap, but I have to agree with your sentiments, as relying an manufactures support is a road to no were. However, retaining silhouette bodies of iconic manufactures and or models, still makes sense, because the fan base, and the all important so called "eyeball" social media reach still responds to such stimuli.

Lower cost's can be achieved by the increased use of controlled components, and the biggest one is also the "Elephant in the room" the engine.

One thing that I regret not doing when I started V8 SuperTourers in New Zealand, back in 2012 was not offering a Ford based equivalent engine to the LS7 engine. Shortly before the collapse of the Series I was in the process of purchasing Ford aftermarket engine componentary to build such an engine alternative, the problem I faced back then that the Ford based engine was going to cost twice the price of the off the shelf LS7 crate engine. The fix for that, at least in my mind, was to make the two engine cost the same money, i.e. one subsidising the other.

Unfortunately the Series collapsed before I had time to introduce the concept, let alone put it into practice.

Cheers,

Mark.