Thread: Team Honda in F1
View Single Post
Old 1 May 2019, 21:27 (Ref:3901086)   #59
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Statistics don't prove anything.
I think a true statistician would agree with you. Statistics is not about "proving" anything, but to help build confidence in a particular proposition. So they may say something is more likely than not, vs "X = Y".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
At this point in time (4 races done) they have less wins than last year, and less podiums than in 2017.
But they do have more points than in either year.

Is that progress, or is that worse than before?
Or shall we call that status quo?

To me - at this moment - Honda instead of Renault is just a sidestep.
They were 3rd, they're still 3rd.

At some races last year they were the 2nd or even the strongest force, chances are that they will be just at certain races again this year. But overall: still 3rd.
The comments above. Who are you talking about? RBR? At this point last year they had did have one win by a driver who is no longer with the team. They also had four retirements between both drivers. This year they have one retirement, no wins and if you focus on the only driver that is consistent between those two years (Max), no delta in wins, less retirements and a higher average finishing position! Not to mention the aero rule changes over the season.

What is my point? Numbers can be twisted to tell any story you want. In the end it is the driver and constructor points that matter and those only matter at the end of the season. And even those only matter to define... WDC and WCC. Both of which are driven by the large factors of... Team, Chassis, Power Unit and Driver. Even the stuff I quote above (which are favorable to RBR 2019 vs. 2018) really say nothing about Honda.

To be honest, while some comparisons can be made, it's pretty early to make many conclusions. But we are seeing STRONG directions of where things are likely to go.

My personal opinion is that Mercedes has their act together in a massive way. Ferrari has improved and RBR has on average stayed in the same place. RBR seems better in some areas (maybe slightly better power unit, but the jury is still out), worse in others (2019 car maybe not as good as 2018, only one proven driver with multiple race wins vs. two from last year).

Sorry if I appear to be "pumping up" Honda. That is not my goal. I generally am pretty critical of Honda. But I try to be critical of specific quantifiable things and less about emotional "they haven't elevated someone to a championship yet, so they suck and should quit" type of stuff. Regardless, I am "defending" Honda more than I should. So I am going to try to stop or cut back on that.

Richard