Thread: Handling
View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2709175)   #4
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trouble is that the spring rates and damping rates on the cars are chosen to compliment the standard wheels. Changing them will probably make the suspension settings 'wrong'. Plus, if you change the dampers and/or springs for uprated or lower/shorter ones, then you'll be even further from ideal (probably - there is a small chance you luck onto a brilliant combination, but manufacturers don't spend LOTS of money tuning these things because it's easy).

The larger wheels might also upset the geometry of the suspension, although if the overall diameter and the offset remains correct this should be minimal.

More rubber on the road will make the steering heavier and less precise.

Handling, grip and responsiveness are all different things, and it's VERY hard to improve one without ruining one or more of the others. Bigger wheels and tyres might increase outright grip (but only a tiny, tiny, tiny amount really), and might improve response (stiffer sidewalls) but will almost certainly ruin the ride and the handling unless other changes are made to correct that.......

Most cars are, in my opinion, better to drive as standard, and quite probably quicker and more fun from A-B as well. But I'm dull like that, and get my thrills from F3 cars instead.

Determine what you want - looks, ride comfort, handing (the stuff that puts a smile on your face), grip or response, and work towards that. I do appreciate that looks are the major aspect of car mods, and that it doesn't matter to the owner if the car is technically better because of it - cite: big exhausts or bodykits etc.