View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2020, 12:41 (Ref:3965973)   #1174
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It's truly crazy how much the top class regressed in that mid-90s spell. Some terrific racing, some terrific cars and many of you who are old enough to remember it I'm sure have cherished memories - but it's incredible how slow and primitive those prototypes were, with many of them barely faster than much heavier road-based vehicles.

There wasn't really a lot of technology to separate the TWR Porsche with the 936 from two decades before.

TK, who recorded his first win in the car, remarked on how much changed in his career - from the H-pattern, flat-bottomed, heavily neutered Group C car in his first win to the space-ship diesel machine of his last one.
I'm currently on a rewatch of the 2003 ALMS season, and even there the gap between Audi and the privateers was relatively small and the Audi actually was beaten repeatedly by Panoz (the years before), the Dyson MG-Lolas and (I think in 2005) Zytek. The Audi was a very good and especially in the enduros a dominant car, but nowhere near as unbeatable (by anyone than other factory teams) as during the Diesel and Hybrid eras.