Thread: '02 Astc??
View Single Post
Old 26 Mar 2002, 02:40 (Ref:244189)   #73
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatley the Problem ST has is that V8s are sucking the all of the corporate money into there category, I really don't understand why is costs $75000 for a V8 Motor, most V8 apparently have about 15 motors per car.

I spoke with David Searle at Winton last year and he told me that a ST motor for his BMW cost $30000 to build, all that were at Oran park saw the speed of that car!

Look at these figures, luke searle driving the BMW at winton (with and old motor)did a race lap of 1:29.8774, this lap time would have qualified him 10th in the V8 Supercar field at winton, ahead of Jason Brights HRT commodore who qualified 10th with a lap time of 1:31.8195

Another problem that ST has had is that TOCA lost there focus in the last couple of years, pushing the Future / TOCA Tourer format at the expense of the Super Touring. I personally compare the last couple of years like the coke/pepsi battle.

Where the category going? according to a couple of drivers they will be moving to Super Production, which makes sense as these cars are the evolution of the super tourer, and they are being raced in NZ, South Africa and asia, Its an international class. there have apparntly been talks about a Forming a South Pacific Super Touring Championship, with cars from Asia and NZ, you have mentioned that Procar have GTP, Super Production and GTP are differnet, you have Commodore and Flacon racing in GTP and noboby is saying there the same as V8 Super cars. i look at it this way, Super Production cars are Pure Race cars, GTP are performace road cars, that some drive to and from the track.

Jamie Miller has apperanlty bought a Ausie legend car and was there at the weekend, what a waste of money, apparently cams have banned them from competeing because they can't get insurance and don't comply to cams saftey regs.

Seeing that ST cars back on the weekend was great.