View Single Post
Old 22 Apr 2014, 23:01 (Ref:3396977)   #38
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another good meeting, well worth the three hour drive and very well attended by the general public, as some of the public car parks were full when I arrived at 7:45!

Practice was good Q 15 out of 18 and brakes seemed to be ok after last weeks misdemeanour.

Race one, not a bad start and as Richard said, I had a good tussle with a GT40, who could outdrag me on the straights, but I was quicker on the corners, so on the third or fourth time of trying I went all the way round the outside at Cascades and managed to get in front. However, after another lap or so, the brake problem returned and the pedal went soft, so I was checking them before each corner, just in case and went for a finish - 11th, very pleased as I'd also knocked 2 secs a lap off my time and had a great deal of fun.

After she had cooled down I started checking her over and noticed that the brake reservoir was low, caused by fluid leaking from the seal on the top of master cylinder feed tube, so after Cheung tried a temporary fix and me failing to locate a master cylinder seal kit for an XJS on a bank holiday afternoon, I reluctantly scratched from the second race.

Shame it wasn't better supported, as they are a friendly bunch and the motto 'Racing as it used to be' seems to fit - roll on Speedfest