View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2020, 11:33 (Ref:3964496)   #40
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Some cracking racing (and the Juniors starring again) - the rate of attrition seemed pretty high though, they were dropping like flies. Poor Fred Ling didn't even complete a lap before the Fiesta gave up (again) and Ovenden never got the DS3 running properly.
Fully agree on all points there. After seeing him having to retire whilst challenging for the lead twice now, I was hoping to see Fred have a better end to the day this time around: as you say he didn't even complete a lap!

Also a shame not to see Ovenden get to use his DS3. Guess it is better to have issues now than when the season is underway.

My pick of the racing would be the Juniors as well. There were some good battles in the other classes, but the Juniors were close throughout the day: and I thought they were very clean as well.

Quote:
Good to see some of the Belgian drivers over again - they always add to the meetings and their cars are usually different to those we normally see (RWD Astra turbo anyone?).
I couldn't help but think that Astra looked faster than it actually was! Pity Jos Sterkens didn't get much track time, as I thought his Fiesta looked great as well.

Impressive speed from Steve Hill at times. There was more than one occasion where he was actually pulling Ollie in on the straights.

Quote:
So what do people think about the revived winter series? Success? The events I've been to (2 of them) have been good fun, hopefully it'll be back next winter.
I personally think they have been a success. For off season race events there have been enough cars present to justify the journey and, critically, we have got some decent racing out it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Me too, although my journey to and from the circuit proved to be a bit of a nightmare with the M23 being partially closed. Nevertheless an enjoyable day albeit in cold, blustery weather. Top marks to all concerned not the least of which were the competitors, some of whom had travelled quite a distance.
I didn't know about the M23 until I was about to join it! Thankfully it isn't a long way round for me to miss it. The weather was pretty testing in the morning, but I had pretty much dried out by the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Thought the Rolling Thunder Oval Rallycross was back for the 4th Winter Series event? Certainly saw a post on Facebook for any interested drivers. Maybe too close to their start of season on the tarmac oval next week, or maybe the larger Rallycross entry meant there wasn't time?
Yeah, I was expecting to see the oval racing back as well as, like you, I read comments on Facebook suggesting they were looking for drivers. As it stands though, I think they would have struggled to fit them in.

Quote:
Was confused by the over 1600cc class having a pt1 and pt2 final, and keeping the same cars together throughout heats and the final. Think Dan Wright explained, but I couldn't hear the commentary at that point.
I only caught part of that: I wonder if it just came down to simplicity on the day?

Quote:
And always good from spectators point of view, when there is a pass on the last lap of the last race of the day, for a podium position in the superfinal.
Yeah: there wasn't much of a fight for first in the Super Final (I was actually betting on how many cars Ollie would lap), but there was some good racing behind. I hope the damage to the Stratos wasn't too bad!