View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2003, 13:33 (Ref:581429)   #50
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to keep this off topic...........

Yes the "Red Flag Story" is true I was there (it wasn't me 'cos I made sure the starter put his Red out before I did).

The problem is the human element, like must accidents are caused by a mechanical failure of the nut behind the wheel, some people cant absorb too much info at once. One crew member was sprung by me monitoring race team frequencies instead of the "normal" RC stuff so no wonder he was distracted. (also realise that I wasn't an official at Bathurst during the earlier mention in this thread of me monitoring race team frequencies)

Here in Aust IO's (Sector Marshalls) are non existant at most events, the senior Flaggie takes on the "role" of post chief without the radio or real power that goes with it, and many posts don't have comms of any type so info transfer is non existant to the poor buggers out there.

Mobile phones are also banned for similar reasons scanners are UNLESS it's a back up to the primary comms (cable loop or radio) or of course for "private" transfer of info to RC.

Another thing, if your on call you should be at home not trackside at a race meeting because you cant just drop everything and P off in the middle of an event. Better the meeting starts down on numbers than try and fill the gap 4 hours later.

Personally I have my mobile in my bag turned on, if I hear it ring I wait until I'm not on point and check the message they should've left.

And yes I'm a scanner owner who faught tooth and nail when the ban was brought in to try and over turn it but was out numbered by non owners at the time.