Thread: HSCC CADWELL
View Single Post
Old 24 Sep 2020, 08:29 (Ref:4006001)   #41
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saaben View Post
My first visit was 1976.
My claim to fame is; I stood next to Ayrton Senna in the paddock when he had an off and damaged the car. Back in those days I dont think spare cars were allowed in F3 so he was a non starter.

In the late 1980's I marshalled at Gooseneck, Charlies, bottom of the Mountain but the the most exhilarating post was at the entrance to Coppice.
To see a grid full of cars coming towards you was amazing.I remember one race (before I was a marshall) several cars collided and ended up hitting the marshals post.

I think a bit of character has been lost when the banking was removed on the approch to the bottom of the Mountain and replaced with armco.

Still a lovely setting to watch motorsport though.
I was at Cadwell with a mate racing his Mini Se7en when Senna had his off in practice (1981 I think). He hit the marshals post on The Mountain knocking at least two of his wheels off (and marshals off the post!). He sat in the car for a few seconds keeping the engine running but after surveying the damage & realising it was going nowhere, switched the engine off and calmly hopped out!