View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3331288)   #600
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I believe the USDM 2.5L is a superior specification to the UK 2.5L. Personally I would steer clear of any Type UK model after 2007, not due to the styling, but due to the horror stories with regards to the 2.5L STi. Plus the 2.5L cars all got equal length headers, so hardly any burble.
Not sure about the first bit - must admit I thought it was basically the same block but tuned slightly differently for emissions and fuel.

As for the 2.5 STI horror stories, there were certainly some - 'chocolate pistons' was a phrase I heard more than once - but there weren't that many warranty claims with Subaru UK. I do think the waters were muddied by failures to modified engines running on low RON fuel.