View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3704699)   #64
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
I don't mean to be confrontational but the statement above begs the question:

"How do you know that today's F1 is not as good as it was in the olden days, if you don't watch it?"

I have watched/followed F1 fairly religiously for the past 35 - 40 years. Some of the races were good, some were boring and some were excellent. All seasons have had something to keep me coming back.
Well the last time I attended an actual GP was the British GP at Silverstone in 1973. MY team were in a support race.

Massive crash at the end of lap one. All rather silly.

I was also at Brands in 1971 for the World Championship Victory Race; so very sadly Seppi (Jo Siffert) was killed. I was standing immediately opposite the site (Strangely enough, next to Jenks).

Some time later, I was enjoying a pint and a chat in my motor sport club's bar with a senior member who was also at that time a member of the RAC Competitions Committee, who had the onerous task of considering Siffert's accident and the Post Mortem results.

He told me all about it. Very sad and unnecessary fatality.

Perhaps for myself, Jonesy Boy (Alan Jones) stating the reason he retired was "There is no way I am gonna ******* risk my life to drive a turbocharged go-kart with my arse one inch off the ground, Mate!"

The sliding skirt era was perhaps the crux of the insanity of motor racing being driven by technology; and sponsor's large wallets.

And carnage. Guess who led the charge?

"By 1980 escalating cornering speeds was becoming a real concern. It was the focal point of a furious dispute between the governing body FISA, typically supported by the manufacturer teams Ferrari, Renault and Alfa Romeo, and the constructors’ association FOCA, led by Brabham boss Bernie Ecclestone."

Good analysis Here:

A small little known tale: Chunky (Chapman) at one time dreamed up his vision of the ultimate monoposto racing car. It would have a very flat engine/transmission and the driver would lie flat out facing forward, operating the pedals at the rear. The wind resistance would be very low.

He apparently floated this Daliesque insanity past the regulators who sort of told him to see a shrink!

I wonder just how many "F1 Enthusiasts" regularly attend meetings: following the circus all around the globe?

Very few I posit. Watch in on the box, mostly, I suggest.

Today, can actual spectators visit the paddock? Mingle with the drivers and teams? Properly participate in the event?

I used to; and that was real motor racing.